When Not Just Any Law Firm Will Do

Turn to a firm that is looking out for you and will help you set things right.

If I Can’t Pay My Taxes Should I Still File My Tax Return?

The short answer is YES – you should still file your return. If you cannot pay the full amount of the taxes you owe, you should still file your return by the deadline and pay as much as possible to avoid penalties and interest. You can learn more HERE.

The penalty for NOT FILING your taxes can be much greater than for not paying your taxes. Even if you can’t pay all of your tax bill, you still need to make sure you file your tax return on time. Contact a tax professional for help – a tax professional / CPA may be able to help you find credits and deductions for what you owe and may be able to help you lower the taxes that you owe.

  • File by the deadline, even if you can’t afford to pay your taxes on time
  • Pay as much as you can when you file your return
  • Keep paying the taxes you owe even after you file

**You have 30-60 days before the IRS contacts you about the rest of your taxes owed so make every effort to pay it off with the goal of paying it off before they ever contact you.

If you are contacted by an IRS Criminal Division agent, you have the right to immediately contact a lawyer before speaking with the agent. If you speak to the agent without consulting an attorney first, you may jeopardize your chances of success and ultimately prove to be your own worst witness.

To retain our services or learn more about how we can protect you, contact McKellar & Easter, Attorneys at Law, by calling 865-566-0125 or filling out this contact form. We have experience handling all forms of federal crimes cases, including those concerning tax law. Appointments are available at any of our three offices: Knoxville, Tennessee; Nashville, Tennessee; and Atlanta, Georgia.

Knoxville Family Law Attorney