Norman D. McKellar practices law in the areas of IRS tax resolution and federal criminal defense, with an emphasis on tax fraud and white collar federal crimes. Mr. McKellar has successfully defended clients in criminal cases in both federal and state courts and in U.S. Tax Court. Mr. McKellar was voted by his peers as a “Top Attorney” for 8 straight years by Knoxville’s CityView magazine. In 2014, Mr. McKellar was selected as a member of the “Top 100 Trial Lawyers” by the National Trial Lawyers, and he also received this same award in 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, and 2020. Mr. McKellar was also selected as a member of “America’s Top 100 Criminal Defense Attorneys” in 2018, 2019, and 2020.
Norman McKellar came to Knoxville in 1995 after spending the previous twenty years in Louisiana. Mr. McKellar received his Bachelor of Arts degree from Brigham Young University, and he received his Doctor of Jurisprudence from the University of Tennessee School of Law. While in law school, Mr. McKellar won the award for Best Oralist in the Ray H. Jenkins Trial Competition. He is the founder of The McKellar Law Firm, PLLC.
Areas of Practice
- Criminal Defense
- Federal Criminal Defense Cases
- Tax Law
- White Collar Crimes
- Tennessee, 2002
- Georgia, 2011
- U.S. Tax Court, 2006
- University of Tennessee College of Law, Knoxville, Tennessee
- Honors: Best Oralist, Ray H. Jenkins Trial Competition
- Brigham Young University, Provo, Utah
Honors and Awards
- Eagle Scout
- Voted as a “Top Attorney” by Knoxville’s CityView Magazine in its 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 2017 and 2018 editions
- Selected as a member of the “Top 100 Trial Lawyers” by the National Trial Lawyers 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019 and 2020.
- Selected as a member of “America’s Top 100 Criminal Defense Attorneys” in 2018, 2019 and 2020.
- AVVO 10.0 Superb Rating
Professional Associations and Memberships
- National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, Member
- Tennessee Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, Member
- Knoxville Bar Association, Member
- Hamilton Burnett American Inn of Court, Member