What if now is not the right time for you to file bankruptcy? An attorney can still help you communicate with your creditors. Some advantages to hiring an attorney include:
- The debt collector must contact the attorney representing you regarding the debt, rather than you.
- Your attorney can help confirm that the debt is indeed valid, as well as analyze all defenses you may have.
- Often, your attorney can negotiate a settlement of your debt for less than the amount your creditor claims you owe.
Your attorney can also provide you with the following services related to debtor’s rights:
- Dispute errors on your credit report
- Defend lawsuits filed by debt collectors
- Protect you against violations of the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA), which prohibits debt collectors from using abusive, unfair, or deceptive practices to collect from you.